Now it's confession time. While I was in the weight room this week it dawned on me that I've come a long way. You see a few months back I wouldn't set foot in the weight room. I didn't really have anything against the weights, but the multiple muscle heads and grunting weight lifters totally intimidated me! Since I've been able to overcome my fear I thought I would share some tips that helped me move forward and take my fitness journey to the next level.
- Go into the weight room with a friend or significant other - When I first started weight lifting I refused to go into the weight room without the boo. I know it probably sounds silly, but somehow having him there with me made it seem less....well scary. Now I have no problems going by myself!
- Start Small - It can be intimidating when you see gym regulars lifting 500 lbs. Guess what....those same people had to start somewhere and work their way up. I'll tell you a secret...when I first started using weights regularly I could only use 2.5 lbs dumbbells and now I use 15 lb dumbbells! With a little patience you'll be where you want to be in no time.
- Some of them are just as clueless as you are! - If it makes you feel any better I promise that some of those same people in the weight room are just as clueless as you are!
- The guys (and gals) don't bite!- Seriously! The same peole that I was once intimidated by have shared machines with me during their sets or helped me lift when I couldn't quite do it by myself.
- Be Confident - Although the weight room can be scary you just have to be confident or fake it until you make it!
- Use Workout Programs - When first started weight lifting (strength training) I had no clue how to break up my workouts so they would focus on certain body parts on certain days. Reps and sets...how many should I do?! Honestly, I still have no clue how to do all of that, but I discovered an awesome free app BodySpace that has free strength training programs that provide every detail from how many reps & sets to actually providing pictures and video of how to do each exercise. How cool is that! It took all of the guess work out of it for me.
♥ Follow Me On Bloglovin