Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Why Protesting Isn't Enough

Picture provided by: http://www.pickywallpapers.com
On Monday evening I sat and watched CNN broadcast the decision on if the officer involved in the death of Mike Brown would be indicted. Since then I've read Facebook statuses, Instagram posts, and Tweets verbally expressing rage, disappointment, sadness and just about every other emotion. I've seen powerful quotes by Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X recycled on every social media outlet. I've seen people vow to wear black on Friday in solidarity and support of the Brown family. Some have even vowed to not spend a dime on black Friday in support. Of course I can't forget about the rioting, looting, and utter destruction that I've seen in reaction to the decision to not indict. I've yet to understand how avoiding black Friday shopping or destroying any community helps to resolve or bring awareness to the issues at hand in a positive way. Candle light vigils and peaceful protests have been scheduled throughout various cities. . While watching all of this I've wondered so many things, but the first that comes to mind is if this case had not been so heavily publicized would as many people be so outraged. I've heard so many equally upsetting cases and for the most part I haven't seen the same sentiment of outrage if anything at all, however even if I put that aside the thing that most stands out to me is what are WE doing? Peaceful protests are great, but are we praying for our community. Are we involved with mentoring our youth. Are we giving back to the same area that we reside in every single day. Are we exercising our right as citizens to not only vote, but to research and understand the candidates that we are voting for? If the only thing we are doing is expressing our outrage on social media and attending a local protest or candle light vigil we are not doing nearly enough. So I'm challenging everyone including myself to get actively involved in something that can help your local community. I can promise you personally that it is life changing not just for others, but for you as well.


♥ Follow Me On Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post and I totally agree. How long are we going to complain about bad things that happen in our communities and we put absolutely no effort to change anything. We need to put our phones downs and actually go out and do something.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...