Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Why the Fundamentals of Your Hair Regimen Should Never Change


So in the midst of my youtube junkie ways I started thinking about some of the youtubers that I've followed for years as well as myself and realized that the core of our hair regimens has rarely changed. Now being the product junkie that I am I know it's a bit unrealistic to say that you should always use the exact same products from now until your hair is hip length. Most of us get bored or just plain ol curious about the latest and greatest products that are floating around out there. What I am saying is that the techniques and methods that you have picked up along the way that work for your hair...STICK WITH THEM! For example, I wash my hair twice a week. I've been doing that for years and my hair thanks me! I refuse to change that part of my regimen even if the conditioners or shampoos change.

When I first started my hair journey every time I would find someone with hair at my goal length I would go out and buy every product the person swore by and follow their regimen to the letter. Each time I would end up disappointed because I didn't achieve great results. One day a light bulb went off and I realized that my results were disappointing because I was doing what was meant for someone else's hair! I eventually started listening to my hair and paying attention to the methods and products that work for me. I will never claim that I will always use the exact same products (although my staples will never be too far away!), but there are also some things that I never plan to change as long as they work for my hair (i.e. moisturizing and sealing daily, DCing twice a week, etc). Those fundamentals are the foundation for my hair regimen and are the reason that I have consistently seen length retention and thickness in my hair. So no matter how awesome someone else's regimen is I've got to stick with what works for me.

6 comments:

  1. This is so true! I'm always changing things up and looking for the next best thing (I even tried a new hair product with today's wash day). But my wash, DC, and protein treatment routine always remains. Great post, Courtnea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's the product junkie in us that just can't resist trying a new product every now and then!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree. I love trying new products but I think that the real difference is in your technique. When you start to treat your hair better, work with it instead of against it, and give it what it needs---length will come in time. Great post!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! As long as your technique remains the same you will have success! Thanks!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...